Makeup Declutter
I don't know what to say, things got out of hand. I LOVE makeup, but I don't even wear it everyday. So I have no reason for a makeup collection that looks like a full size Sephora. Especially when there are so many products I skip over because I will not use them. (gel eyeliner in a pot? That I need a brush to apply? I don't have time in my life for that) Also what about the products that have expired ? I mean everyone loves a good eye infection from a 5 year old eyeliner, am I right?
Or a good solid breakout because you don't wash your brushes and keep dipping into the same blush or pressed powder.
Pull all your products out, we're about to do this. I cleaned off my coffee table so I had a solid space to work because when I tidy it on my vanity, there's a super good chance useless things are staying. You need to see everything in a new light. (Don't forget to empty your handbags or check the bathroom for strays)
Oooo, didn't expect the pile to be that big.
Let's start with expiry dates.
Lipstick: 1-3 years
You'll notice a smell or that it's dried out, probably both.
Lipgloss: 3 months
This one shocked me, I no longer own lip gloss.
Eyeshadow: 1 year
This one should be higher especially if you buy high quality, my Naked 2 palette is from 2013 and still in great condition. You'll notice a texture change, smell and loss of pigment in both powder and cream shadows. (Cream will dry out far sooner) There was nothing more disturbing then realizing my eyeshadow smelled of toxic waste. Go ahead, follow your nose.
Eyeliner: 1 year for pencil , 3 months for liquid
The liquid expiry could also be longer, use your judgement. (check pigment, smell, it'll probably dry out)
Mascara: 6 months
This definitely depends on the brand. The Diorshow mascara I used to have really went the distance, lasted about 8 months but the special edition Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes in unicorn packaging hardly made it 3 months before my eyelashes were so sticky I had to blink with force.
Blush: 2 years
You'll see oil streaks, cracks, pigment change and yep even a smell.
Concealer: 1 year
It goes directly on your skin and usually blemishes. Think about whats going back into the tube.
Liquid Base: 2 years
Trust me you'll notice quickly with this one, it'll apply like garbage if the smell doesn't assault you first. Also the oxidization will be real, orange really isn't anyone's colour.
The moral of the story is use your judgement, if you can't remember when you bought it you need a new one. (but only if it's a favourite)
Also included in this pile is makeup brushes, hair products, perfume, nail polish and jewelry. I don't enjoy styling my hair or painting my nails so most of this can go. I have changing taste in jewelry so i'll pass the rest along.
It's a great time to wash your brushes while everything is out! I use baby shampoo and leave them flat to dry.
Ahhhh. Sweet relief. I can feel good about what's left, move it back where it belongs and I'm 10 pounds lighter. Let go of the guilt if it was expensive, you should only have to learn your lesson once. I have a special edition My Burberry perfume with gold flakes in it that was over $100. I don't even like the smell. I won't do that again. Or buy a new nail polish colour every time I paint my nails. Which is hardly ever because they always smudge and then I want to scream. What do I really use in my hair ? Heat protector, a moisturizing mask, dry shampoo and a small bottle of hair spray.
The goodbye pile, it's been swell.
Or a good solid breakout because you don't wash your brushes and keep dipping into the same blush or pressed powder.
Pull all your products out, we're about to do this. I cleaned off my coffee table so I had a solid space to work because when I tidy it on my vanity, there's a super good chance useless things are staying. You need to see everything in a new light. (Don't forget to empty your handbags or check the bathroom for strays)
Oooo, didn't expect the pile to be that big.
Let's start with expiry dates.
Lipstick: 1-3 years
You'll notice a smell or that it's dried out, probably both.
Lipgloss: 3 months
This one shocked me, I no longer own lip gloss.
Eyeshadow: 1 year
This one should be higher especially if you buy high quality, my Naked 2 palette is from 2013 and still in great condition. You'll notice a texture change, smell and loss of pigment in both powder and cream shadows. (Cream will dry out far sooner) There was nothing more disturbing then realizing my eyeshadow smelled of toxic waste. Go ahead, follow your nose.
Eyeliner: 1 year for pencil , 3 months for liquid
The liquid expiry could also be longer, use your judgement. (check pigment, smell, it'll probably dry out)
Mascara: 6 months
This definitely depends on the brand. The Diorshow mascara I used to have really went the distance, lasted about 8 months but the special edition Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes in unicorn packaging hardly made it 3 months before my eyelashes were so sticky I had to blink with force.
Blush: 2 years
You'll see oil streaks, cracks, pigment change and yep even a smell.
Concealer: 1 year
It goes directly on your skin and usually blemishes. Think about whats going back into the tube.
Liquid Base: 2 years
Trust me you'll notice quickly with this one, it'll apply like garbage if the smell doesn't assault you first. Also the oxidization will be real, orange really isn't anyone's colour.
The moral of the story is use your judgement, if you can't remember when you bought it you need a new one. (but only if it's a favourite)
Also included in this pile is makeup brushes, hair products, perfume, nail polish and jewelry. I don't enjoy styling my hair or painting my nails so most of this can go. I have changing taste in jewelry so i'll pass the rest along.
It's a great time to wash your brushes while everything is out! I use baby shampoo and leave them flat to dry.
Ahhhh. Sweet relief. I can feel good about what's left, move it back where it belongs and I'm 10 pounds lighter. Let go of the guilt if it was expensive, you should only have to learn your lesson once. I have a special edition My Burberry perfume with gold flakes in it that was over $100. I don't even like the smell. I won't do that again. Or buy a new nail polish colour every time I paint my nails. Which is hardly ever because they always smudge and then I want to scream. What do I really use in my hair ? Heat protector, a moisturizing mask, dry shampoo and a small bottle of hair spray.
The goodbye pile, it's been swell.








Things just got real! ❤️💋💄💅🏻
ReplyDelete<3 They sure did ! If only I had more face for more makeup !
Delete