Minimalism / Decluttering Part One
For a word that makes life lighter, minimalism sure sounds heavy. Like it's all hard work and white walls at the end, but I'm here to tell you how it's not and that there is no end.
The definition of minimalism is different for every single person but the goal is generally the same, to focus on what matters, getting rid of the unnecessary and therefore spending less time being controlled by your material items. It is a constant effort and I don't have a one and done solution for you. This is a lifestyle choice that you may not think you need it now but it'll hit you.
Why the hell am I always cleaning ? Why can't I find anything ? I have nothing to wear ! I might need it someday. I bought something new and I have no where to put it. We need more organizational bins and boxes.
Darling someday isn't coming, and you don't need to organize, you need to declutter and live with less. We've all said these things. We've all been stressed out about it. Wouldn't it be magical to let it go?
So let's start at the root of the problem. Shopping. No one needs to tell me it's a hobby. Or that it becomes an addiction. You are preaching to the choir. As of right now I will say that I will never stop, but I do put more thought into what I'm buying and it's made a world of difference. Once you start to focus on buying less, you can begin to downsize. It might seem scary if you have fear of letting go, so test it out first. Ask a friend to come into your home and remove 10 things. They can hold onto them and for one month see if you've asked for any of it. Unless it's your toothbrush, I bet you won't notice. That's what's really scary.
So where do you start?
It happened pretty naturally for me, it was cleaning day and I hate dusting. I had two book shelves loaded to the brim with books and dvds and nothing was more ominous than the thought of pulling everything off the shelves to clean. (and it's not even something I do often) The piles were unbearable, there were rows in front of rows because I ran out of room. Somebody get me a garbage bag, I'm 200% done with this. (FYI I donate everything, it doesn't go in the garbage)
How do you decide?
Is this movie my favourite? Will I be pissed if I can't find it on Netflix?
I went from over 500 dvds to 141, and I'm still cutting away all the time. (48 of which are Disney and considered a staple) Sometimes you need to re-watch things and realize you just aren't into it anymore.
Same goes for the books, will I read this again? Have I outgrown these?
I'm unsure of the number of books I had but the shelf was exploding. One new book and we were on the verge of bookpocalypse. Now I have an entire shelf free, (that a few of my Mr's gifts have found a home on until we have a house with an office) plus some room on the others.
Yes I did spend a lot of money on all those things, at one time in my life they did bring me joy. There comes a time to let that go, let go of the guilt and decrease the stress.
Removing what's left to dust the shelves ? Not as irritating. Seeing space on my shelves? Priceless. (and such a burden off my mind) I wish I would've thought to take before pictures but here's what's left.
For some people starting with such a big category may be too intimidating so I'm going to start you off easy. (If you want to start big, all the power to you!)
1. Magazines
I've been a magazine enthusiast for many years, but what were they adding to my life ?
Short lived joy and a waste of trees. I bought my last magazine in April. It fell behind the couch and I forgot about it for probably a week. So our relationship came to a natural end and I couldn't be happier.
2. Email Subscriptions
Did you know when they ask for your email in a store you can say no thanks ?
Go to unroll.me and set yourself free of the endless spam and triggers to shop. (I'm down to 12 subs on my regular email and none on my other! and I didn't even know some companies on the list!)
3.Coffee Mugs
I had to convince myself we were never going to have 30 people over for coffee too, don't feel too bad.
Minimalism is a journey and this will be a series. Look around, I bet you can name 5 things that aren't adding value to your life. Or maybe don't even have a proper place. I challenge you to come on this adventure with me. You deserve peace of mind.
The definition of minimalism is different for every single person but the goal is generally the same, to focus on what matters, getting rid of the unnecessary and therefore spending less time being controlled by your material items. It is a constant effort and I don't have a one and done solution for you. This is a lifestyle choice that you may not think you need it now but it'll hit you.
Why the hell am I always cleaning ? Why can't I find anything ? I have nothing to wear ! I might need it someday. I bought something new and I have no where to put it. We need more organizational bins and boxes.
Darling someday isn't coming, and you don't need to organize, you need to declutter and live with less. We've all said these things. We've all been stressed out about it. Wouldn't it be magical to let it go?
So let's start at the root of the problem. Shopping. No one needs to tell me it's a hobby. Or that it becomes an addiction. You are preaching to the choir. As of right now I will say that I will never stop, but I do put more thought into what I'm buying and it's made a world of difference. Once you start to focus on buying less, you can begin to downsize. It might seem scary if you have fear of letting go, so test it out first. Ask a friend to come into your home and remove 10 things. They can hold onto them and for one month see if you've asked for any of it. Unless it's your toothbrush, I bet you won't notice. That's what's really scary.
So where do you start?
It happened pretty naturally for me, it was cleaning day and I hate dusting. I had two book shelves loaded to the brim with books and dvds and nothing was more ominous than the thought of pulling everything off the shelves to clean. (and it's not even something I do often) The piles were unbearable, there were rows in front of rows because I ran out of room. Somebody get me a garbage bag, I'm 200% done with this. (FYI I donate everything, it doesn't go in the garbage)
How do you decide?
Is this movie my favourite? Will I be pissed if I can't find it on Netflix?
I went from over 500 dvds to 141, and I'm still cutting away all the time. (48 of which are Disney and considered a staple) Sometimes you need to re-watch things and realize you just aren't into it anymore.
Same goes for the books, will I read this again? Have I outgrown these?
I'm unsure of the number of books I had but the shelf was exploding. One new book and we were on the verge of bookpocalypse. Now I have an entire shelf free, (that a few of my Mr's gifts have found a home on until we have a house with an office) plus some room on the others.
Yes I did spend a lot of money on all those things, at one time in my life they did bring me joy. There comes a time to let that go, let go of the guilt and decrease the stress.
Removing what's left to dust the shelves ? Not as irritating. Seeing space on my shelves? Priceless. (and such a burden off my mind) I wish I would've thought to take before pictures but here's what's left.
For some people starting with such a big category may be too intimidating so I'm going to start you off easy. (If you want to start big, all the power to you!)
1. Magazines
I've been a magazine enthusiast for many years, but what were they adding to my life ?
Short lived joy and a waste of trees. I bought my last magazine in April. It fell behind the couch and I forgot about it for probably a week. So our relationship came to a natural end and I couldn't be happier.
2. Email Subscriptions
Did you know when they ask for your email in a store you can say no thanks ?
Go to unroll.me and set yourself free of the endless spam and triggers to shop. (I'm down to 12 subs on my regular email and none on my other! and I didn't even know some companies on the list!)
3.Coffee Mugs
I had to convince myself we were never going to have 30 people over for coffee too, don't feel too bad.
Minimalism is a journey and this will be a series. Look around, I bet you can name 5 things that aren't adding value to your life. Or maybe don't even have a proper place. I challenge you to come on this adventure with me. You deserve peace of mind.



Great advice! Love your tips!! Xo
ReplyDelete