Labour and Delivery
Saturday night was normal, I showered and went to bed about 9:30-10. Getting up to pee consistently had become routine but this time I felt like I was getting food poisoning. Stomach ache, headache, body ache, nausea. I accidentally dropped our lead filled toilet seat, alerting the Mr. that I was awake. I was laying down again when he came up to check on me, at 12:01 on April 1st, as I'm saying I don't feel well, there's a wild water main break between my legs. I'm talking motion picture quality. Pretty sure I said 'OMG finally.' Meanwhile baby is laughing to himself, ha ha I didn't want to be March baby. The ultimate April fools joke.
Assuming I had more time to sleep, I made sure everything was ready for the midwife, and that the hospital bag had a few last minute things added just in case. I went back to sleep while an over energized soon to be daddy got the birth pool ready. I'm not sure I even got a half hour of sleep before we went from 0-60. By 3:09 am it was time to call the midwife, my contractions were less than 4 minutes apart, one minute long and had been consistent for an hour. In ways it felt like the night was long and yet it seemed morning came fast. I was fully dilated by about 5 am, more laboring, but soon pushing. Why do the tops of my thighs feel like they're being chewed by a chainsaw.
About 6:30 am and it's pushing time. Wow that feels so much better than labour but maybe it's all in my head. I'm just trying to smash my way to the finish line. Then you hear the deafening blow, let's stop pushing for a while. BUT I WAS GOING FOR GOLD.
It's almost impossible for me to be She-Hulk on 2 hours of sleep at this point. But here we go.
After that terrible round of contractions, we pushed for another hour. Little did I know my baby buns hadn't made it any further than the first round of pushing.
It's 10 am and I'm half passed out between pushing and exhausted. 'I can't any more' I wheezed. My mind was made, no energy left around here. Let's go to the hospital. Sweet Jesus bring me the drugs.
After almost 12 hours of fighting, at 11:45 am that sweet sweet epidural kicked in. The doctor wanted to give baby time to move down the rest of the way so I had an hour to sleep. Nothing had ever been so glorious.
1 pm. Guess who hasn't budged that last couple of inches. Someone's giant head is stuck, he's starting to panic. Cut me open, he's gotta come out. The midwife wanted me to push a bit first but I couldn't feel any pressure and only knew I was having a contraction when I could hear his heart rate go up on the monitor. So the Doctor went to call the surgeon and I couldn't have been more thrilled. These people are going to set my baby free.
They wheeled me down and everyone said they'd never seen anyone so excited to have a c-section. I was going to meet my boy, there's no stopping us now. Daddy waited outside while the numbed me up.
She's ready, go bring dad in. WHHHOOOOOO!!!!
Time flew and then the best noise we'd ever heard in our lives.
AAAAHHHHHHHH. Me and dad are sobbing and smiling as your sweet naked butt came up over the curtain. Time of birth 2:14.
The midwife plopped you on my chest minutes later, and I said 'Hey baby, that nose looks familiar.' He abruptly stopped crying and looked me dead in the eyes. Nothing in the world could be as beautiful as him. Daddy started talking and baby moved his head so he could look at him too.
So these were the voices I've been hearing.
We kept talking to you and then they bundled you up so daddy could hold you and in that moment he became exactly what he was always meant to be. No one will ever come between the two of you, they might as well of sewn you together on the next table.
Daddy left with you while they finished me up and they rolled me to where you were being weighed and measured. 9lbs 5oz, 22 inches. Holy cow, wasn't expecting that.
Time for rest and letting some people know you had arrived. We got settled in our room and our visitors started trickling in. I've never been so high in so many ways. (I couldn't feel anything from the waist down)
A couple days of rough recovery at the hospital and it was time to go home. (Only rough for me though, baby was doing great, I just had trouble standing and walking)
We've been home for three days now and everything has been great. Baby buns is a champion eat-sleep and pooper. Auntie Hannah's belly band she lent probably saved my life, and we are slowly but surely getting back to normal. Daddy has taken on the work load like a champ and has been doing a great job while my body remembers how to function. This new house feels like home now.
While our adventure was nothing like we imagined, we rolled with it. Everything turned out great and I cannot thank everyone enough. From my determined Mr. helping me through contractions to taking care of our sweet boy while I recover, the midwives, nurses, doctor, anesthesiologist, surgeon, the people who delivered my food and cleaned our room, everyone who came to visit at the hospital, Uncle Pancho & Auntie Hannah for taking care of our cats and filling the house with food before we got home, everyone who's brought and are bringing food, and Super Nana for helping out everyday. We couldn't have done it without everyone, I was never nervous for a moment and had complete faith in everyone's abilities.
While holding my little bundle in the hospital daddy asked if he was my favourite now. I said no, you're still my favourite because if it weren't you, I wouldn't even have him and what he is to us is something completely different. We will love him even harder because of each other. We only tell him we love him every 30 seconds, just in case he forgets.
Assuming I had more time to sleep, I made sure everything was ready for the midwife, and that the hospital bag had a few last minute things added just in case. I went back to sleep while an over energized soon to be daddy got the birth pool ready. I'm not sure I even got a half hour of sleep before we went from 0-60. By 3:09 am it was time to call the midwife, my contractions were less than 4 minutes apart, one minute long and had been consistent for an hour. In ways it felt like the night was long and yet it seemed morning came fast. I was fully dilated by about 5 am, more laboring, but soon pushing. Why do the tops of my thighs feel like they're being chewed by a chainsaw.
About 6:30 am and it's pushing time. Wow that feels so much better than labour but maybe it's all in my head. I'm just trying to smash my way to the finish line. Then you hear the deafening blow, let's stop pushing for a while. BUT I WAS GOING FOR GOLD.
It's almost impossible for me to be She-Hulk on 2 hours of sleep at this point. But here we go.
After that terrible round of contractions, we pushed for another hour. Little did I know my baby buns hadn't made it any further than the first round of pushing.
It's 10 am and I'm half passed out between pushing and exhausted. 'I can't any more' I wheezed. My mind was made, no energy left around here. Let's go to the hospital. Sweet Jesus bring me the drugs.
After almost 12 hours of fighting, at 11:45 am that sweet sweet epidural kicked in. The doctor wanted to give baby time to move down the rest of the way so I had an hour to sleep. Nothing had ever been so glorious.
1 pm. Guess who hasn't budged that last couple of inches. Someone's giant head is stuck, he's starting to panic. Cut me open, he's gotta come out. The midwife wanted me to push a bit first but I couldn't feel any pressure and only knew I was having a contraction when I could hear his heart rate go up on the monitor. So the Doctor went to call the surgeon and I couldn't have been more thrilled. These people are going to set my baby free.
They wheeled me down and everyone said they'd never seen anyone so excited to have a c-section. I was going to meet my boy, there's no stopping us now. Daddy waited outside while the numbed me up.
She's ready, go bring dad in. WHHHOOOOOO!!!!
Time flew and then the best noise we'd ever heard in our lives.
AAAAHHHHHHHH. Me and dad are sobbing and smiling as your sweet naked butt came up over the curtain. Time of birth 2:14.
The midwife plopped you on my chest minutes later, and I said 'Hey baby, that nose looks familiar.' He abruptly stopped crying and looked me dead in the eyes. Nothing in the world could be as beautiful as him. Daddy started talking and baby moved his head so he could look at him too.
So these were the voices I've been hearing.
We kept talking to you and then they bundled you up so daddy could hold you and in that moment he became exactly what he was always meant to be. No one will ever come between the two of you, they might as well of sewn you together on the next table.
Daddy left with you while they finished me up and they rolled me to where you were being weighed and measured. 9lbs 5oz, 22 inches. Holy cow, wasn't expecting that.
Time for rest and letting some people know you had arrived. We got settled in our room and our visitors started trickling in. I've never been so high in so many ways. (I couldn't feel anything from the waist down)
A couple days of rough recovery at the hospital and it was time to go home. (Only rough for me though, baby was doing great, I just had trouble standing and walking)
We've been home for three days now and everything has been great. Baby buns is a champion eat-sleep and pooper. Auntie Hannah's belly band she lent probably saved my life, and we are slowly but surely getting back to normal. Daddy has taken on the work load like a champ and has been doing a great job while my body remembers how to function. This new house feels like home now.
While our adventure was nothing like we imagined, we rolled with it. Everything turned out great and I cannot thank everyone enough. From my determined Mr. helping me through contractions to taking care of our sweet boy while I recover, the midwives, nurses, doctor, anesthesiologist, surgeon, the people who delivered my food and cleaned our room, everyone who came to visit at the hospital, Uncle Pancho & Auntie Hannah for taking care of our cats and filling the house with food before we got home, everyone who's brought and are bringing food, and Super Nana for helping out everyday. We couldn't have done it without everyone, I was never nervous for a moment and had complete faith in everyone's abilities.
While holding my little bundle in the hospital daddy asked if he was my favourite now. I said no, you're still my favourite because if it weren't you, I wouldn't even have him and what he is to us is something completely different. We will love him even harder because of each other. We only tell him we love him every 30 seconds, just in case he forgets.



Comments
Post a Comment